Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why are you a boy/girl?

How much influence does your mother have over your gender-identity development and personality? Well, it depends on who you ask. There are theorists out there who say that she is a major contributor and others who say not so much.


If I think back to my childhood and all the influences my twin brother and I experienced in relation to gender-identity development, I would say that our environment played a key role in reinforcing gender-stereotypic behavior. From as far back as I can remember, my brother was “conditioned” to be a boy and I was “conditioned” to be a girl. Even the chores we were assigned as little kids reinforced the stereotypical gender roles; He took the trash out and I did the dishes.


Not that there was anything wrong with that. I do think, however, how important it is for everyone to be exposed to non-traditional gender-stereotypical chores! What I mean is that we should all be encouraged to try different activities whether they are male or female labeled. That way, as individuals, we can learn what we like from our own experiences not those that are dictated by our society based on gender norms.


I really can’t blame my mother for who I’ve become…gender or personality. Darn it! I wanted to blame someone!


How did gender stereotypes influence how you were raised?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I often wonder about that. I was raised in the Leave It to beaver sixties. We played army and sports and had GI Joes. It would seem I had no choice in the matter. At the same time, I think men and women do experience the world differently. I remember looking at a pregnant friend and thinking that it must be really creepy having a little guy growing inside of you. Isn't that what the movie Alien was about? I think I'd rather shoot them than have them living off of my insides.