Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Can the opposite sexes be just friends?

Can there be such a thing as cross-gendered friendships? What would you think if some person of the opposite sex walked up to you and said, "Hey. You look like a nice person and I'm looking for new friends. Would you like to hang out?" Most people would think that was a pick-up line.

This is another age-old question. Is it possible to just be friends with someone of the opposite sex? Think about the times in your life when you tried it out. How did it work for you? According to the stereotypes and the research, it's almost impossible to do.

According to my Gender class, of course it can be done! Well...in my history that was a big challenge, especially if I was single at the time. I do have some good guy friends, but if I met them before I was married, we went out at least once before deciding that wasn't going to work!

The one guy I tried to be just friends with no going out kept pressuring me for more. It’s too bad because we are no longer even friends because of that.

It's too easy to "test the waters" if you put two single opposite-sexed people together to hang out. Why not see what's there? Unless, of course, you're repulsed by them!

It tends to be easier for women to be just friends with men than it is for men to be just friends with women. Most of the time, they hope that they will be able to get at least a little sex out of it!

1 comment:

Freedom said...

What is wrong with having sex, having pleasure, enjoy being with each other? Isn't sex gives pleasure to both partners, not just men. Women love sex no less and oftentimes more then men. I'd really want to know why is it common to say that this is men who want sex (and even portrait men as sexual predators oftentimes) and women don't?